Using ZProm

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the Cambridge Z88
g7mmj

Using ZProm

Post by g7mmj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:06 am

Does anybody know how to get Zprom to program an eprom over 16k? I can't work out from the documentation how to burn a 32k image into a 32k eprom since Zprom only uses a 16k buffer. Presumably you do it in two parts but I can't work out how.

Thanks

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: Using ZProm

Post by RWAP » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:42 am

Zprom is indeed only able to program 16K at a time - normally the files are stored as 16K files (eg example.0 and example.1) so if you have a 32K file, you will need to split that into 2 16K chunks first.

You then select the bank on the EPROM to be programmed (eg bank 0 is the first 16K) and then load example.0 into the buffer and program that to the current bank, then repeat the process for example.1 (bank 1)

It is not something I have done so I might have missed something...
Rich Mellor
RWAP Software

Buy and Sell Cambridge Z88 computers on SellMyRetro.com - the only trading site devoted to retro and vintage computers

Visit our own RWAP Retro Computer forums: http://www.rwapadventures.com/forums/

g7mmj

Re: Using ZProm

Post by g7mmj » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Thanks, that's more or less what I thought. I was hoping that there was a way to do it automatically. Presumably I can manually hack the image into two 16k blocks and burn them seperately. I'll try that and see what happens.