Hard copy to printer from Z88 Basic

Anything Z88 Basic related; history, development, tips - specifics for BBC Basic on the Cambridge Z88
Don Stewart

Hard copy to printer from Z88 Basic

Post by Don Stewart » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:25 pm

This is probably a very simple query for anyone with a good working knowledge of a Z88 but I have just got my old machine working again after almost 20 years and I can't seem to find the commands needed to actually send output to a printer from within Z88 Basic.
It says in all the manuals that the Print command can send output to a printer as well as the screen but does not detail how to do it.
Since this is meant to be a full implementation of BBC Basic I have tried the VDU2 and *FX3,2 commands which do this job on an actual BBC Micro but they don't seem to work, although the VDU commands don't give a syntax error which the *FX3 commands do.
I have also tried using the CLI activate printer command (#+P) but this does not work.
I also found that *OUTPUT15 is supposed to work in certain versions of BBC basic but this doesn't work either.
The only way I can actually print at the moment is to activate the printer at the point in the program where it should send to it with {}+P and deactivate again after it with {}-P.
Anyone know what the real Z88 Basic commands are to activate and deactivate the printer feed?

RWAP
Site Admin

Re: Hard copy to printer from Z88 Basic

Post by RWAP » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 am

Have a look at the short manual produced for the printer cable:

https://cambridgez88.jira.com/wiki/spac ... ctions.pdf

Basically, you need to:

Code: Select all

ch=OPENOUT(":PRT")
PRINT#ch,CHR$(5)+"["
PRINT#ch,"This is some text"+CHR$(10)
PRINT#ch,CHR$(5)+"]"
close#ch
PRINT#ch,CHR$(5)+"[" is essential to instruct the Z88 to start the printer driver.
PRINT#ch,CHR$(5)+"]" turns off the printer driver when you are finished
Rich Mellor
RWAP Software

Buy and Sell Cambridge Z88 computers on SellMyRetro.com - the only trading site devoted to retro and vintage computers

Visit our own RWAP Retro Computer forums: http://www.rwapadventures.com/forums/